Auschwitz in World War II

One of the most notable and horrific events which occurred during the Second World War was the construction of Auschwitz and the actions which were committed there. The site actually consists of two different camps, the first being the more famous Auschwitz 1. The second camp was named Birkenau and was known as camp 2. Birkenau was actually much bigger than the first camp, thoufile-poland-auschwitzgh the name Auschwitz had become the name to describe both camps which are situated next to each other in the outskirts of Krakow in Poland.

Though the camp was first constructed to house Polish prisoners, it became something much worse as the Second World War continued. It became the answer to the final solution. The final solution was the Nazi policy for the extermination of all Jews, something which they saw would be beneficial to society. In the end, the camps were used not only for Poles but for Jews, homosexuals and other minorities from all over Europe.

It is thought that there were at least 1.1 million people who were killed in Auschwitz, though the exact number is unknown. Over 90% of the people who were killed in the camps were Jews. The other 10% were made up of homosexuals, other minorities such as black people and other people who resisted the Nazi regime across Europe. Across the years the camps were open, it was staffed by a staggering 7000 Nazis.

The camp was not only used to exterminate those who the Nazis wanted to kill but also for experimentation. The most famous doctor who participated in the Nazi experimentation program was Joseph Mengele. He has since become known as the angel of death. He took a special interest in twins and dwarfs. He would often infect one twin with a disease to see how they would react differently.